The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Human Resource Officer (AUC-PCRD)
Requisition ID: 1021
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Contract Type: Regular
Reports to: Executive Secretary
Directorate/Department: African Union Centre for Post-conflict Reconstruction and Development (AUC-PCRD)
Division: Admin. & Finance
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Purpose of Job
- The Human Resource Officer is the focal person to handle all Human Resource (HR) matters at the level of the Centre, in the areas of planning staffing, handling recruitment of Staff, employee contract management, managing and leading Staff performance evaluation processes, Staff benefits administration, leave, employee relations (discipline and grievance handling), advising management and Staff on AU Staff Regulations and Rules as well as guiding the Office on the implementation of same and HR-related policies and procedures.
- Assist in the following up of the activities of the Centre, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the office and the AU’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall analysis of issues related to HR management.
- Participate in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Centre including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the HR function.
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders as required.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Secretary, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate human resources services such as recruitment, contract management of local and international Staff, performance management, skills development, leave management and the management of Staff conduct and behaviour;
- Handle human resource planning and implementation of same in planning and coordinating recruitment activities. Take appropriate action on issues related to staffing issues of the Centre;
- Act as focal person in the provision of Staff welfare (e.g. insurance, coordinating arrangement of medical services, counselling services and others);
- Supervise the local implementation of the performance management system i.e. ensure the development of individual workplans and periodic evaluation of performance, production and timely submission;
- Follow up the contract expiry and renewal schedule of Staff and coordinate the renewal of same;
- Administer the leave management system;
- Administer and provide advice on salary and related benefits and entitlements;
- Produce monthly payroll information for the implementation of payroll changes;
- Provide induction, orientation and briefing to new Staff;
- Identify and analyze Staff development and career support needs and assist with the design of programmes to meet identified needs;
- Supervise the maintenance of the human resources filing system;
- Provide advice and support to managers and Staff on human resources related matters.
- Monitor and ensure the implementation of human resources policies, practices and procedures;
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the AU Staff Regulations and Rules as well as other Administrative Instructions and provide advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules;
- Keep abreast of developments in various areas of human resource management;
- Prepare reports and participate and/or lead special human resources projects;
- Provide advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements;
- Provide advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules;
- Assist in preparing policy papers, position papers and briefing notes on various issues related to human resource management;
- Supervise the activities of the administrative support team i.e. transport team (drivers) and cleaning services;
- Perform any other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Management / Business Administration or Public Administration, or related fields in Social Sciences and five (5) years relevant work experience. A combined experience in Government, NGO or similar multilateral, regional or international institution will be a good advantage
- A Master’s level qualification in the above fields and two (2) years relevant work experience in the types of organizations listed above.
- Experience in handling a stand-alone HR role.
- Experience as a middle level manager/supervisor in HR will be advantageous.
- Membership of a recognized professional HR body or additional academic qualification in a relevant area of study (see above) is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of and deep understanding of the HR standard practices, procedures and technicalities
- Very good understanding, knowledge and capacity to interpret and implement the provisions of the AU Staff Regulations and Rules, policies, administrative guidelines etc.
- Very good knowledge of contract management and administration
- Very good understanding and knowledge of HR technicalities including but not limited to HR planning, job analysis and evaluation, pay scale and benefits administration, Staff welfare management, management of employee relations, Staff development activities etc.
- Ability to undertake studies; make analysis of cases and propose workable solutions in accordance with the relevant procedures and rules
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills
- Ability to undertake studies and analytical skills associated with good decision-making
- Experience in recruitment activities, reviewing terms of reference, skill and requirement sets, interviewing and selection
- Very good strategic insight to enable the Centre to set up HR plans and actions targeted towards the strategic direction and goals of the office
- Excellent capacity to work on office computer applications, well versed in the use of the Internet, MS Power Point, MS Excel and MS Word. Knowledge on other computer office applications and strong practical knowledge/experience in using SAP HR Module is essential
Communication and knowledge sharing:
- Excellent capacity to communicate effectively oral and written communication skills. The ideal candidate should be able to communicate with influence. Very good drafting skills
- Good facilitation and presentation skills
- Readiness to share information whenever required, drive for results and continuous improvement
- Able to develop others, transfer knowledge, assist in developing objectives supporting both staff/personal and institutional objectives
- Readiness to share information and knowledge at all times, drive for results and continuous improvement
- Ability to collaborate and share communication confidently
- Excellent reporting skills
- Very good listening, negotiating, influencing, mediating and problem solving skills
- Ability to develop trust, apply and institutionalize integrity; demonstrate impartiality
- Demonstrates good decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally; able to communicate the AU values of respect to diversity and team work
- Excellent sense of accountability and compliance
- Able to drive change, help others to adapt to same; demonstrates readiness to generate ideas to develop best approaches
- Able to work under pressure, particularly as a professional civil servant in a multi-cultural environment
- Able to value confidentiality
- Demonstrate professionalism and transparency
- Able to effectively work in a multi-cultural environment
Innovation and creativity:
- Ability to come up with an innovative working system and thinking and promote implementation, in communication with those concerned; implements and encourages the use of ‘thinking outside the box’ approach
- Inclined towards promoting and demonstrating superior results and excellence
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is required. Knowledge of one or several other working language (s) of the African Union (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) would be an added advantage.
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk..
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 19,103.64 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 14th March, 2022.